Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Thousand Splendid Suns



I don't know what has come over me in the past couple of months but I have been reading like a mad woman and enjoying every second of it!! Well... most seconds of it. I just finished listening to A Thousand Splendid Suns on CD during my commute and I don't think my heart has ever been so broken as it was for the characters I got to know in this book.

The majority story takes place in Afghanistan and is told through the eyes of two Afghan women that meet halfway through the story when they become sister wives during a time of tumultuous warfare. Leading you down a path of severe domestic abuse, corrupt governmental rule, death, and sorrow there comes a great appreciation for the liberty that we are awarded here in the US. Though it ends positively, most of the book left me feeling battered by the heavy story. I would hesitate to recommend this book because of how the violence and heartbreak effected me personally but I have never learned so much from a novel as I did from this one. The New York Times wrote a formal review on the book that you can view here.

Other books I have read in the past couple of weeks:
Letters for Emily
Numbering all the Bones
The Last Lecture
The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life

Michael and I are going to the library to return what we've got and get something new... I am hoping to pick up a copy of East of Eden by John Steinbeck as recommended by Whitney from Eat Sleep Cuddle. and two new books on CD. I'll update you on the success of the trip soon!

4 comments:

Savanna Rodriguez said...

I have heard wonderful things of East of Eden. My favorite teacher Mr. Kellogg used to suggest that I read it, but I never did. I can't wait to hear your review on that! I just love that you're reading so much!

Michael said...

I'm excited to pick up some new books with you honey! It was fun last time and we only had 3 minutes to choose before the library closed.

Unknown said...

Good for you, reading books during your commute! What a great way to spend the time! Have you read "These Is My Words"? That is one that will have you laughing and crying all the way through.

Speaking of which, it's time for me to get some new books on CD...I finished my most recent book a few days ago and have been filling in with Harry Potter #6 for the 4th or 5th time :)

A Darley said...

Then you can watch the movie East of Eden which has James Dean in it and you can think of ME because he's from Indiana too! :)