
Where I am currently facing some frustration is the big decision of 'What comes next'? In the movie Marley and Me, Jennifer Aniston had this wonderful list of things that she wanted to do and in what order. It went like this: Graduate from college, get married, get jobs, buy a house, then have kids. I love lists and the fact that Jennifer Aniston is just so adorable makes this schema almost irresistable. I think that the area where Jennifer and I differ, however, is somewhere between marriage and job (aka now). There are not many jobs for a young woman in Provo with a bachelor's degree that is only planning on sticking around for another year so... What to do? Options:
a. continue working at Heritage Makers (which fulfills the bills but not the soul) to put my hubbie through college
b. go full force into the job market and try to find something that really fits, even if the mula isn't as good
c. go back to school so that I will leave Provo with a master's degree and a cut above my competition wherever we go
My belief is that when making a big decision, your first question should always be: Well, what do you WANT to do? Want? c. More school. Lets set money aside and assume that the decision of school has been made. Next decision: area of study. Options:
a. MSW (masters in social work) - though I could complete this degree in one calendar year because of my bachelor's being in the same field, it is just doesn't feel right
b. MBA/MPA - I love business, finance, and the lifestyle that come with it. Already I have interviewed at some pretty amazing places that could not hire me because they needed more business experience. There could be some great opportunities out there to combine social work and business. Drawback... it's expensive.
c. Certificate (6 mo's) or Associates (4 semesters) in interior design. This is a really quick program that would give me a nice background/skill set in something that I love and could definitely utilize in my own home and probably part time when I do have a family.
So what do I WANT to do? That's the question. Or are there more options out there? Working on figuring this one out now. I'm open to suggestions.
7 comments:
I question the part about the mola not being as good out side of Heritage Makers. Ha Ha.
See this post for my comments in response to your post :0) http://thestonemanfamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/long-comment.html
Sometimes I really dislike having to make big decisions. Just because they can have such a big impact on your life for years to come and you don't want to make the wrong decision! But it sounds like all your options are good ones. And I for what it's worth, I figured I'd give you my two cents. :)
I noticed that when I was applying for teaching jobs, they all wanted real-life work EXPERIENCE. It drove me insane! It's a total catch 22 because here I am, right out of college... you want me to have work experience, but how can I get work experience if you won't give me a job for not having experience! (confusing? yes.) ANYWAY, the point of that soap box moment was to say that it might not be bad to try to get some work experience in your field before coming down here and getting something more permanent...it'd definitely look good on a resume. You don't have to tell your employer that you're only going to be there another year or two. Life happens, I'm sure they're used to employees leaving for all sorts of reasons.
That being said--a master's degree would also look awesome on a resume. And you can never go wrong with getting more education. Also, while you're up there at such a great school that's a lot cheaper than schools down here in California, you might as well take advantage of that. And better to be living on student loans when it's just the two of you than when little ones start coming along down the road.
The thing about big decisions is that what's right for one person isn't always right for another--but as long as you're taking about it with Michael and both of you are seeking the guidance of the Lord, it will all work out. Of that I am sure! Best of luck and much love!
P.S. I just wanted to let you know that the word verification I had to type to post this was "suppery." Where do they come up with these words? lol
I found you! Now we can be blog friends too. I would totally support your decision to go back to school, but its hard for me to be unbiased because I can't wait to be done with school.
And this is totally unrelated...but I LOVE TANK
Wow, so many decisions!! I think you would make a GREAT interior designer! And I love that it's something you could use forever even after you have a family. That's what I love about my art career -- I can be a stay-at-home-mom and still pursue my passion! Good luck with your decision!!
It's nice to see these thoughts on paper. Even though we've talked about them many times before, I think a list is a good step. I know that Brit is gonna make the right decision!
It's actually really interesting to be in my position. I feel like a huge decision that will grately affect my future needs to be made, and I'm not the one that will end up making the decision. I just have to support and trust my wife to do what's right. I can give my input but in the end it is up to her. It's kinda cool being married. I'm really excited for Brit and this wonderful time she has to find her future. Love ya honey!!
Brit, I loved reading this. So often I feel like my life is out of control. It was nice reading your positive take on it. And you're right! The ball IS in my court!
Post a Comment