Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sloppy Joes, Slop, Sloppy Joes


As far as food goes, this week has been wonderful so far! We had a successful Hamburger Monday, a fun makeshift Tuesday, and big plans for... Sloppy Joe Wednesday. I apologize to Michelle, who hates sloppy joes, and to all other naysayers that may doubt the class of the tomatoe and ground beef (even if it's fake) mixture that is tossed on a whole wheat bun with the pure intention of staining beautiful faces everywhere. I'm sure I have had a sloppy joe at some point in my life but because I just recently decided to succumb to trying fake ground beef it hasn't really been an option these past 10 years. So all day I pondered as to how my face would look with a little tomatoe-based sloppy joe smile, getting more excited by the hour.

When the time came to take the plunge, however, I just couldn't find it in me to strike up the oven and lead the kitchen in its nightly concerto (performed by a beginning orchestra). I stood there in the kitchen with my favorite vegetarian cook book in hand trying every mind game I've been taught and just couldn't make myself do it! And then... I just said it. "I don't feel like making dinner tonight Honey!" It wasn't whiny, it wasn't rude, it just was...

And to that, my dormant husband sprung to his feet, delicately plucked the cook book out of my hand, set me down on the couch, and tuned the coconut cooking oil. After a matter of minutes onions were dicing and fake meat was grinding (appropriately). I smiled and watched as my sweet hubby poured extra love into the pan of mush that was perfectly simmering on our stove top.

I don't know exactly why he decided that tonight was the night to make music in the kitchen but I think he was glad he did. Something in me just lit up like a light bulb! The meal was absolutely amazing, the tomato smile was perfect, and something about him got about 2 million times more attractive. The kind of thing that made me: eager to do the dishes, prompt him to flip to ESPN, talk about computers, and... end the night deservingly. Thank you Michael, thank you sloppy joes, thank you Adam Sandler.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I think you should be the spokeswoman for sloppy joes around the world. You make them sounds sexy! ;) hahaha

C Stevens said...

Who knew sloppy joes could be so intimate.