Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Vegetable Monster

You may or may not have heard about the somewhat-recent idea that was presented of turning the Cookie Monster into the Vegetable Monster as to set a better example for the kids watching Sesame Street... Since Murdock house entertainment revolves mostly around animated movies and children's entertainment (mind you, this is our first child on the way... that's just how it goes when your husband is in the animation industry) we were very well aware of the idea and I think I know why it happened. Once my good friend Leah Jesperson and I found out that we were both pregnant and due within a week of one another we decided to cut the sugar and only award ourselves one "treat" weekly. The challenge has gone WONDERFULLY for the last 2ish months and I really do feel 5 billion times better without the extra sugar running through my veins! And I feel like a SUPERSTAR mother-to-be (all you have to do is sleep a lot, exercise every once in a while and eat fresh to gain the superstar title before your child arrives).

Back to the Vegetable Monster... I think that the makers of Sesame Street shadowed a relatively health-conscious pregnant woman in hopes of inspiration for a new character and could come up with nothing but the sister of our friend Mr. Cookie Monster. She wakes up hungry, needs to eat an hour later, and still feels completely starved before she finishes her morning snack... Knowing that it would be confusing for children to understand the I Eat EVERYTHING Monster they tried to go with Vegetable but realize they were missing their complex carbs and threw in the towel. Needless to say, this is my creative way of mentioning that I am always hungry and have no other solution but to pull out another baggie of dried cranberries, string cheese, or peaches. If this doesn't slow down soon my husband may find himself married to a mansion of a woman.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HA! "A mansion of a woman." That killed me.

Megan said...

Oh goodness, I am so with you. I am hungry literally ALL THE TIME... especially the past month or two since the morning sickness has taken a vacation. I'll finish a snack and be famished 20 minutes later. When I pack my lunch in the morning it's a giant bag completely FULL of fruit, veggies, yogurt, sandwiches, and admittedly some sugary things too (I'm not as good as you in that regard... chocolate kisses help me get through the day sometimes!)... even then I'm lucky if it lasts me the whole day! I feel like a heffer and the scale is even more scary than usual these days, but thankfully Josh still thinks I'm cute. Or so he says. ;) I'm sure that even if you view yourself as "a mansion of a woman", Michael will think you're prettier than you've ever been -- and give yourself some slack, that little peanut of yours needs nourishment just as much as you do! :)

Michael said...

very funny post hons, I'm usually the cookie monster ;) You are really REALLY cute pregnant and it's fun to think that my child has as big an appetite as I do!