Monday, June 13, 2011

Ruby

(Please click to enlarge this photo so you can see her smiling - so funny!)


At the end of February this mama decided that it would be a good idea to seek out puppy #2. I thought I was crazy but I couldn't make the urge go away! After suppressing it for a couple of weeks Michael and I were over at Jon and Savanna's house and asked them how it was to now have two dogs and they couldn't speak highly enough of the element their newest puppy added to the picture.

We started looking online that same night for a new pup to add to the family, went and visited several litters (and one psycho pug/chihuahua/shitzhu that had an eye that popped out fairly regularly and pottied on me at our first meeting) until we found our sweet Ruby (then named Tayla). We fell in LOVE with her but our limit was $250 and the breeder was asking $300... sadly, we walked away. The next day she called with news that her mind had changed and dropped Ruby off with Michael at the gas station by our house. I know that sounds sketchy... it probably was but oh well!!

Ruby has had her moments of terror but I think she has passed her 'terrible twos' phase and is now working toward her stubborn adolescence, which I love. With maturity, however, a girl's body begins to change and develop... to prevent gross stains on all of our furniture we had her fixed last weekend. They did a bad job. Picture pinching one side of the incision so that it is in a sort of U between your fingers then sewing that to a straight piece of skin. Sounds really professional right? I knew it was not good when I saw her right after her surgery for the first time but figured that it would heal up. Wrong. It got infected and swelled to triple it's size and turned bright red. I called the vet and they told me I would be wasting my money to take her in. Two days later the incision completely popped open and began to bleed and drain cloudy fluid... obviously severely infected. We cleaned it as best we could, applied some neosporin and butterfly bandages, covered it in gauze and wrapped it but it is going to need to be re-stitched. Her appt is tomorrow morning. There will be no cash shelled for the re-stitching... just ask me.

After original surgery


After stitches popped open and wound was cleaned up a bit


Sad puppy!


Overall, I would definitely say... if you're going to get a dog, consider getting two. That may sound crazy but it is wonderful. They play all day long and have so much fun together so that by they time we get home from working all day they are ready to play for about an hour, eat some dinner, then crash. And they are inseparable friends/wrestling partners. It is darling.

6 comments:

Kim said...

That is amazing. One thought about the pics - POST A WARNING FOR GRAPHIC PICS. I almost passed out when I saw the open wound. Poor baby. It is interesting that dogs are somewhat like children. When there is just one they seem to develop differently. Maybe it's because they have no one to play with or maybe unlike dogs they do not get fixed at 6 months to help calm them down. But one thing for sure, our lives would be much different if we only had one child and so would our children. I love the relationship you have with your brother and treasure the time outs across the china cabinet and playing tickle monster with each of you running in the same direction and hiding in the same place together. Then screaming at the same time as the monster came around the corner. My vote always have at least two kids and two dogs and/or two fish and/or two birds and/or - well you get the picture. Ruby will be fine and never remember this once she is healed and back with Tank and you all. Love Dad

Savanna Rodriguez said...

I agree with Kim whole heartily! Two is definitely better than one! The more the merrier! And poor poor ruby :( I hope she is back to normal soon.

P.S. Cutest darn picture of her EVER! I love the sweet smile!

Michael said...

They really are so cute together. These past couple days Tank has had to entertain himself while Ruby rests and I forgot how energetic he was. Now when we bring him in he isn't cuddly and ready for bed, but he's bouncing off the walls like a crazy dog.

Just and fyi, Ruby's sore looked much better today. Still open, but clean and not red from infection. She should be just fine soon.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh this BREAKS MY HEART!!! Berlin got fixed a couple weeks ago and I was a total wreck... I would be a full blown, call-in-the-troops disaster if her incision got infected and opened up like that! Poor, poor little thing! The vet better have a very long apology rehearsed for you, that is ridiculous! I hope your little Ruby feels better soon!

Dani and Chandler said...

While two dogs is better than one... I'm not sure how great it is with two dogs and a baby.... so to add to your post... if you plan to have a baby in the next two years... dont get a second puppy! I'm hoping that since our dogs are basset hounds, they'll calm down much quicker than normal dogs. Oh yeah... also make sure to have a backyard so that when you do have your baby, you can leave them out there for long periods of time - in which case, you feel less bad for neglecting them when there are two dogs instead of one.

Cindy Lou said...

I like the picture of you holding Ruby, something about that photo makes my heart smile... poor Ruby