Friday, July 29, 2011

Memorial Park

This is a real picture of the park

Both of my parents grew up in the Bay Area - my dad in San Francisco and my mom in Walnut Creek. As my dad grew, his family had a yearly tradition of going camping at Memorial Park in the redwoods of San Mateo, CA. When Nick and I came along he decided that taking us to see Memorial Park would be the perfect vacation while Mom was off at girl's camp for the 200th year in a row. My mom put my hair in braids (in which I returned a week later... same braids), we threw the tent in the car, and the tradition began. After a couple of years Mom mustered up the courage to join us and we were able to enjoy Memorial Park every summer together thereafter. We made friends, swam in the water hole, played in hollow logs, raced banana slugs, ate pudding, played Racko, and went on lots of walks. Memorial Park was my very favorite childhood vacation memory. As time went on we moved to Vegas, participated in summer camps, and lost the time we normally found at Memorial Park.

I bet you've guessed what is coming next though, right?? WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!!!! We have our campsite reserved for July 11-15, 2012 and I am going to the store today to buy the marshmallows!! The fun part is that this time I get to sleep in my own tent with a BOY and I don't have to go to bed early with the kids! I don't think I've ever been this excited about a vacation before. Especially since both my parents, my brother, and my sweet husband will be there with me!! Watch out dad... I am going to dominate you in Racko.

3 comments:

Cristina said...

so fun! and i didnt know your parents are from the bay area!! my family lives like 20 minutes away from walnut creek :)

Jessica said...

How exciting!! That picture is GORGEOUS. We are going to try to go camping in September with Abigail near Mackinac Island... we'll see how it goes!

Kim said...

I can't wait. You left out a few things like trip to Santa Cruz where I let you ride the sky tram with Nick at age 5 & 3. The snack bar and my favorite - the family skit. I can't wait to make Michael a star on stage. I CANNOT WAIT TO BEAT YOU IN YAHTZEE.