Friday, December 18, 2009

Holiday Happiness

When I was a little girl I lived in Santa Barbara, California where the temperature never drops below 60 and never rises above 85. In second or third grade we did a class activity where we had to draw a picture of our favorite season. I remember sitting in my little school chair and being so torn between winter, because it contained Christmas and my birthday, and summer, because I loved family trips. I don't even remember what I eventually decided, but the truth is that either decision would not have been a true depiction of the season. I had never known what it was like to scrape my windshield on a cold winter's morning or how it felt to sweat through multiple layers of clothes on a hot summer's day. Though the question was one of seasons, my little California-girl mind was answering one of love. I knew that winter brought a spirit of giving and tradition to my family that everyone looked forward to and prepared for. I also knew that summer brought time. Time for attention and excitement to be experienced with those that I loved the very most.

During this holiday season, and this year, I have felt so blessed. On May 16, 2009 I was in Las Vegas on a 115 degree day watching my brand new husband sweat through his crisp tuxedo shirt. The year's first snow fall was accompanied by a genuine act of service from my sweet brother in law who scraped the snow and ice from my windshield. To be able to experience true happiness, some of the contrary must be learned as well. I am so grateful that I know people that are willing to take it upon themselves to smooth the edges of the seasons as well as those of other misfortune to turn negative elements into opportunities to share genuine love. I will never love the snow, but I am grateful for the man that can feed his family because he has a job salting sidewalks. I agree with those that emphasize how important it is to celebrate Christ rather than Santa during this Christmas season, but I do believe the two men are good friends. Though we don't need to overwhelm ourselves with Christmas trinkets, it is the perfect excuse to spend time preparing things that will make the people you love happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU make me happy.