Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Waiting Game


Back in mid-September I got a strong feeling that I needed to apply to the University of Utah's Master's in Social Work program. I was drawn to this program in particular because they offer two different emphasis that perk my ears, because I would get in-state tuition, because it is relatively close to my home but not the same university that I received my undergrad from (they don't like it when you get them both at the same place evidently), and mostly because they offer an Advanced Standing program. Advanced Standing just means that if you received your Bachelor's degree in Social Work (which I did) that you can skip the first year of their program and finish school in one calendar year! Pretty sweet deal, right?? So... I got all of my transcripts, letters of rec., essays, and forms together and submitted them on November 1, 2010 and the waiting game began.

About two weeks ago I got a letter in the mail from the university letting me know that I had been placed on the 'alternate list'. Having no idea what that really meant I gave them a call and they spent a good couple of minutes letting me know what a big accomplishment it was to be an alternate given the hundreds of applicants and small number of students admitted (60 p/year). They then let me know that I was basically put into a pool (not a ranked list) with the other alternates until those that had been accepted in the first round responded to their letters of acceptance on February 15, 2011. After receiving all of their responses they would then go through the applicants in the alternate pool completely fresh, as if they had not previously been evaluated, and admit as many of the alternates as they could. The promise was that I would know by the end of February/beginning of March what the verdict is on my application. Well... it's February 17th and I would LOVE to know what they are thinking over there! It's an exciting time. If I get in I do not know for sure that I will go but feel pretty certain that all of the sacrifices that would need to be made for this to happen would return to our family at least 10-fold. AAHHH!! I'll keep you posted!

5 comments:

Savanna Rodriguez said...

I'm praying you get it sista! I love you!

Michael said...

good luck honners!! I'm very proud of you!

Unknown said...

I love Michael's comment :)

Can't wait to hear!! But which side will you sit on when you go to the football game???

Megan said...

keeping my fingers crossed for you! i'm sure it would be a wonderful learning experience. :)

p.s. love your post from yesterday, too. especially that 'don't compare your backyard to someone's front yard.' I'm so good at that, too! Thanks for the reminder to take a chill pill when it comes to that! haha

Brit said...

I think I might opt to watch the rivalry football games at home from here on out... That way I can have a red Gatorade in one hand and a blue one in the other (even though I hate Gatorade... it feels appropriate)!