Tuesday, March 8, 2011

30 Day Picture Challenge: Day 18 - Belly Button

Day 18: A picture of your biggest insecurity.

My sophomore year of college I took a Bioethics class where we talked about all of the goods, bads, rights, and wrongs of manipulating genetics and every tangent of the subject. One day I was lucky enough to walk in late to a group discussion where the topic had been explained before I had arrived. I sat down in the circle of about 20 other students and handed the "since you were late we will let you go first" line. I politely asked what it was that we were discussing and the group leader explained the question, "if there were ANYTHING about yourself that you could change to benefit your future offspring, what would it be?" Not having any prep time I thought quickly of the thing that I liked least about myself and confidently proclaimed, "definitely my belly button". The other students went on to suggest things like their family's history of heart problems, mathematical skills, financial status and other substantial things. Me? Nope. I was stuck with belly button.


This is not my belly button...

5 comments:

Michael said...

well I for one have to say that I love your belly button! And would not change it for anything. But your kazoo skills, now that's where I wish our kids could get some more genetic help from ya

Savanna Rodriguez said...

I seem to recall seeing your belly button and thinking nothing, which means I didn't think "O MY GOSH WHAT A BELLY BUTTON" so... I think you're perfect just the way you are.

Brit said...

I don't know that my belly button is ACTUALLY my biggest insecurity... but I couldn't help but share the story because I was doing so much internal laughing when it actually happened! People just need to know about those moments!

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha! I can just imagine you sitting there while everyone is on the verge of tears, thinking about their grandparents who have died of heart defects. And you're all, "man, I hope my kids have good belly buttons!"

Cindy Lou said...

I am laughing with Merrick, nothing like a little shallow attitude to ease the burdon of a serious day - Hahahahah... and yes these moments happen to us all and we need to share them so we can laugh at our various "belly buttons"!!