Friday, April 29, 2011

Running Isn't Easy...

I'm not going to lie... Yesterday was a hard day. I hate being a complainer but it was a legitimately hard day. There were lots of stinkers at work which is hard when you work by yourself all day every day. If someone comes/calls in with lots of stinker-like things to say it is not as easy as if you had someone else to talk to to bounce back. After the 8th of these little encounters I decided that I needed to plant an end goal for myself and decided that I would start off my running career right by jogging to Frozen Yogurt Junction after work. I got off work, got home, got dressed and took off. The frozen yogurt was incredible. Cake batter with coconut and graham crackers (my go to toppings bc I love them and I hate paying for heavy toppings). The run, however? Horrible (sugar coating not available). I felt like it was so much harder for me than normal and we only went 1.5 miles. The book that I have been reading and publicly raving about makes it very clear that there are days that your body is easy to run with and days that it is not and I think that yesterday was just a hard day. I felt defeated and on several occasions during the walk back (ran to FYJ but opted not to run back on a full stomach of frozen yogurt) contemplated stopping to cry. Is that silly?

I stuck with that mentality until I remembered that the last time I ran I went over 2 miles without any trouble at all and decided that yesterday's run was probably just a hard day for my body and my emotions for whatever reason. I am going to go for it again tomorrow. Don't worry - I am not going to throw in the towel on my SUPER EXCITING half-marathon after one crappy run. Even if that means that I will have to run 10 times the distance that I struggled through yesterday... I'll be able to do it. This is really important to me. Sorry this post wasn't full of sunshine on this snowy April day!

6 comments:

Savanna Rodriguez said...

We all have snowy April days, and I know you'll pull out of it! And don't worry, crying is just another way to let your body release the high stress and I just know it was a bad run day for the body. I know you'll do it again and we'll have a sunny motivating post. Love you! Keep running girly!

Unknown said...

Amen to everything Savanna said. I am so impressed that you are motivated to run at all! I HATE running and always give up so fast. So good job for doing it in the first place!!! Love you!

Michael said...

Hons, I'm really proud of you, most people don't do things they are scared of, especially when they are not necessary. Like me, I avoid graduating college because it's a crazy world out there. Honestly though honey, you are my hero. Love you!!

(p.s. the word verification they want me to put in to prove I'm human is "slomi", I just thought that was a really funny word)

Megan said...

Awww Brit! I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough day yesterday! Too bad we weren't closer, we could have totally had a pity party together.... But thank you for your sweet comment on my blog and the reminder that today is a new day! Thank goodness for that! I'm sure that your body will eventually remember what it's supposed to do when you run and you will be so ready once the awesome half marathon arrives! I'm sure when that day comes you will look back at this post and be so glad that you didn't give up. :) YOU CAN DO IIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Cindy Lou said...

Sometimes you just have to complain... I love how you figured out a way to make your difficult day better - with a run/yogart/run-walk... to me that is a better skill than running well. I say, way to go Brit you have to keep thinking outside the box somedays, seems successful to me! Good run or not you did a great job in my eyes!(keep running too) Big hugs :)

Kim said...

I loved your post with the honesty of a true runner. Hopefully you will post when you have those great days too. If it were easy, you would see thousands out there every day and night bumping into each other with great big smiles on their faces. However, as I drive by runners very few have smiles one their faces (not because they are not enjoying the run but because it isn't easy). This is not a challenge for you per se, it is a goal and with every goal there will be some challenges. I can't wait to hear you sing loudly for all to hear, those famous Toby Keith words "How do you like me now, now that I have finished the run (you get the general idea)" Into each day some rain will fall but it evaporates as the sunshine of your heart warms the world around you. Love Papa