Sorry honey - no. can. do.
Last week I decided that there were far too many things in my cupboard that had been there for far too long. I made a list of them and created my two week menu around my goal to get rid of as many of them as possible... They were mostly items like: lentils, large pasta shells, obscene amounts of brown rice, etc. Things you feel guilty building a meal around because they are in blatant disobedience of your commitment to cut back on carbs. Either way, the menu was made and the mission was on. Saturday I went on a date with Winco (my new favorite store even though you have to pay with cash, check or debit and we do everything else through Discover - don't judge me, we love rewards).
As Sunday afternoon came and went my sweet husband's stomach started to growl and I jumped to it in the kitchen to whip up some delicious sounding stuffed shells. As the water boiled I prepared the stuff part of the stuffed shells and smiled as I added fresh herbs. Before I knew it the water was ready and the stuff was perfect. I opened up the box of shells to add them to the rolling boil and... WEEVILS!!!!!!! I don't know about you but some things just really know how to grab a hold of my gag reflex and the thought of WEEVILS in my PERFECT Sunday meal had me instantly doubled over in dry heaves (a little dramatic but stick with me here). Before alarming the troops (I wanted Michael to be impressed with the meal/me) I gathered my composure and went back to the cupboard to see what alternatives there were to my large shells... I had planned a whole two weeks around my carbs - there HAD to be SOMETHING else, right?? Well, there was more that someTHING... it was more like some(2,000)THINGS! I started opening all of our boxes. The lasagne, the rice, the pancake mix, the medium shells, the oatmeal, the cake mix, AND... THE WHEAT FLOUR I HAD USED TO MAKE OUR BRAN MUFFINS FOR BREAKFAST THAT MORNING!! (Insert lots more dry heaving here)
As the garbage-filling frenzy began the troops were officially called in to report. Michael saved the day (laughed hysterically as made guesses as to the number of weevils I had consumed in the muffins) as he terminated the nasty little wigglers. I don't think I have ever been so disgusted in my whole life... not only did I have to throw away all of my pantry food or terminate millions of nasty little bugs but I PROBABLY ATE THEM IN LARGE QUANTITIES!!!! Definitely not in line with the whole vegetarian thing!! So SO SOOOO gross.
The important part... Please do keep in mind that if you are invited over for dinner in the next few weeks that you should feel especially catered to. Not only will your food be weevil-free but it will also be fresh off of the supermarket shelf.

Probably should've kept it to myself...
8 comments:
Oh, that is SO bad.
Also, I love the fact that your blog has a "disaster" label. Hahaha!
O MY GOSH! I laughed so hard reading this whole thing! I can only imagine the nightmarish music in the background as you opened box after box of infested goods. So funny! I love how you write it like it sounds like a movie.
I am glad you posted this because I didn't know what a weevil was! (did you notice it has the word evil in it? lol) Now I know what to look for in my pantry!
GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!!!
There are few things I hate less than nasty bugs in places they should not be (namely, my house!).
I guess I understand why they say to rotate food storage now. I have a great desire to go through my cupboard now, barf bag in hand, to make sure no critters have made their way into our food...
Hons... I don't think screaming hysterically and telling me to rush to the kitchen as fast as I can is "keeping your composure". I'm nervous to see what happens when you "flip out!"
I mean... I was very proud of you honey, you were very brave!
p.s. the final count was 137...
137 weevils consumed by Brit... muah ha ha (is that how you spell 'evil laugh')
ugs-bugs... I have to admit I have seen these before... nightmares I want to forget...
Oh gross gross!!! Oh my goodness. Great job describing this to us! You are a brave woman Brit.
Brandon has stopped listening to my screams because they are usually over one little bug-- but this?! This is a whole other story!
Okay I am going to try this again. It is a sorry day when you feel like you are getting behind the techno bubble and can't figure things out that everyone else can - like tweet and twitter and facebook and well you get the idea. I was commenting on this blog and for some reason it didn't work. To put a sabre into my heart my daughter calls and says "how about you give me your password and I will see why it is not working". What's next. Cream of Wheat and a bib. I am on the road downhill to technological oblivion. Cream of wheat brings me to my comments on this blog. I laughed and laughed as I was reading this. To think that Brittany had boweevils is like saying cheryl got licked on her lips by Sophie. All I could think of was box after box of food with those liitle creatures wiggling around in the bottom, fat from haven eaten what was in the box.
Brittany, your plan was more protein and that what you got and it was all free. Have you never heard the Bo weevil Song, if not I will send it to you. It fits, those little wiggly things everywhere.
Have you not seen Survivor? Weevils are like the staple for protein - live, cooked, boiled, sauted, a chefs dream. Kinda sounds like Bubba Gump from Forrest Gump! What about fear factor? Weevils were much preferred to owl eyes, fresh intestines and live scorpions.
As my laughter slowed I thought of a special day that had the same reaction where someone found green gum in their salad. Beyond hilarious! So when I was over that I thought well if weevils give you that kind of reaction just think of olives on your sandwich and the weevils will disappear. Great blog. Loved it!
Post a Comment